EN 1317 European Standard
The EN 1317 European standard was developed within the framework of the Construction Products Directive 89/106/EEC and EN1317-5 serves as a basis for the CE marking of road safety systems such as safety barriers and guardrails, crash cushions, barrier extremities and transitions.
Transpolis is an active member of the CEN (European Committee for Standardization) working group, CEN / TC226 / WG1 (Road Restraint Systems), which is constantly developing and evolving these standards.
EN 1317 (Restraint Systems) is part of the European Construction Products Regulation. According to this regulation, the manufacturer, must establish with the help of a notified certification body, a declaration of performance of his product and apply for CE marking.
Transpolis carries out crash tests according to this standard for road restraint devices such as safety barriers, crash cushions, terminals and transitions of safety barriers.
The harmonized standard EN 1317-5 (Road Restraint Systems - Part 5: Product Requirements and Conformity Assessment for Vehicle Restraint Systems) is based on technical support standards:
- EN 1317-1: Road restraint systems - Part 1: Terminology and general criteria for test methods
- EN 1317-2: Road restraint systems - Part 2: Performance classes, impact test acceptance criteria and test methods for safety barriers
- EN 1317-3: Road restraint systems - Part 3: Performance classes, impact test acceptance criteria and test methods for crash cushions
- Pr EN 1317-4: Road restraint systems - Part 4: Performance classes, impact test acceptance criteria and test methods for transitions and removable barrier sections
- Fpr EN 1317-7: Road restraint systems - Part 7: Performance classes, impact test acceptance criteria and test methods for terminals
- CEN / TS 1317-8: Road restraint systems - Part 8: Road restraint systems for motorcycles
As an example, the test conditions for safety barriers, described in part 2, are here-under described.
Within the context of this standard the crash tests require various vehicle types like cars, trucks ranging from 10 tonnes to 38 tonnes and coaches and must be performed following these conditions.
|Test||Vehicle||Mass (kg)||Speed (Km/h)||Angle|
|TB41||Rigid Truck||10 000||70||8|
|TB42||Rigid Truck||10 000||70||15|
|TB61||Rigid Truck||16 000||80||20|
|TB71||Rigid Truck||30 000||65||20|
|TB81||Articulated Truck||38 000||65||20|
The standard defines several containment levels for safety barriers, depending on the vehicle type to be restrained. For one barrier of a given containment level, one or two crash tests must be conducted.
TB41 + TB21
TB32 + TB11
TB42 + TB11
TB42 + TB11 + TB32
TB51 + TB11
TB51 + TB11 + TB32
TB61 + TB11
TB61 + TB11 + TB32
TB71 + TB11
TB81 + TB11
Heavy vehicle + TB11 + TB32
To request information or pricing, contact us at email@example.com
- EN 12767 European Standard
TRANSPOLIS offers a wide range of services, among which crash-testing according to the requirements of EN 12767 standard, which corresponds to the Passive safety of support structures for road equipment.Read more
- Defensive Blockers
TRANSPOLIS is one of the few crash laboratories in Europe performing impact tests on any type of vehicle security barrier such as bollards, road blockers and security fences.Read more
- Evaluation of guardrails transitions (NF 058)
The process for achieving the NF marking of current section connections is based on Technical Annex No. 8 to the Certification Guide.Their NF certification is mandatory in France in accordance...Read more